Viking River Cruises Announces New Ship, Viking Ra
Viking River Cruises announces details of the newest addition to its river fleet, Viking Ra™. Recently acquired, the vessel has been stripped down to the steel to undergo a complete renovation. A small ship, hosting only 48 guests, Viking Ra will sail the Nile River on a new Egypt cruise tour, Pharaohs & Pyramids, that will launch in March 2018.
“Egypt is one of the most intriguing countries in the world, and it remains a top destination for many of our guests,” said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking Cruises. “For two decades, we have led the industry in river cruising with our innovative ship design and itineraries that bring our guests closer to the cultures of the world. We are committed to Egypt, and with the introduction of Viking Ra, we look forward to providing our award-winning service to our guests on the Nile – and to their experiencing this culturally rich region in the Viking way.”
During the 12-day, Pharaohs & Pyramids itinerary, guests will experience Egypt in seven destinations. The cruise tour begins with a three-night stay in Cairo, where guests can visit the Great Pyramids of Giza, the new Grand Egyptian Museum, the Mosque of Muhammad Ali, and more. Guests will then fly to Luxor, where they will visit the Temples of Luxor and Karnak before boarding Viking Ra for a 8-day roundtrip cruise on the Nile River to Aswan, featuring access to the tomb of Nefertari in the Valley of the Queens and excursions to the Temple of Khnum in Esna, the Dendera Temple complex in Qena, and a visit to a Nubian village where guests can experience a traditional elementary school. Finally, the journey concludes with a flight back to Cairo for a final night in the city.
Viking Ra Designed for Destination Cruising
The newly rebuilt, all-suite Viking Ra will boast 24 staterooms that will accommodate 48 Viking guests. Named in honor the Egyptian sun god Ra, Viking Ra’s name also pays homage to the great Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl and his papyrus-reed boats Ra and Ra II. Viking Ra will feature:
- All Suite Staterooms: The ship features three suite stateroom categories, each of 291 sq. ft., including 20 Veranda Suites with a full-size veranda in the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom. All staterooms include amenities such as a hotel-style bed, luxury linens, sofa, private bathroom with shower, air conditioning and flat-screen TVs.
- Pool and Two Jacuzzis: In addition to two Jacuzzis, the ship features a pool at the back of the ship, allowing guests to swim surrounded by their destination. A sanctuary from the sun is provided by “sail-shades” inspired by local dhow ships and mashrabiya-influenced screens surrounding the Pool and Sun Deck.
- Spa: Specifically designed for Viking Ra, guests can relax in The Spa offering massage services and a variety of treatments.
- Onboard Dining, Bar and Lounge: Dine in The Restaurant, which serves three full meals and a selection of regional and international fare, then head to the clinker-built bar to share a cocktail with friends. During the day, guests can enjoy The Lounge to relax, take in the views through floor-to-ceiling glass doors or hear an informative discussion on the next destination.
- Enriching Entertainment: Connecting guests to their destinations through authentic experiences is central to Viking’s “thinking person’s cruise.” Instead of casinos and water slides, guests are offered Viking’s Culture Curriculum, which includes a Nubian evening event on board and a local experience riding a camel. Additionally, Viking’s expert Egyptologist leads all excursions, sharing the archaeological and historical significance of the sites.
The post Viking River Cruises Announces New Ship, Viking Ra appeared first on River Cruise Advisor.
from River Cruise Advisor http://ift.tt/2q6Gcxx Visit Taylor & Co. Travel’s AllInclusive website at http://ift.tt/2ndHCGE for all your travel, wedding & accessory needs, and to book your River Cruise Xperience or Destination Wedding!!!